Monday, October 27, 2008

Dr. Teeth

First I'd like to state that I'm posting because I find it somewhat disturbing to log onto my blog and the first thing I'm assaulted with is MY FACE! Trust me I see it enough every day. Second...Dr. Teeth is one of the cooler Muppets, and yes I love the Muppets! Okay, so I"m gonna blog about my son Quinten whom I adore...but that child can drive up a wall so fast and is, Walker can drive David up a wall just as quickly...So as long as we are balanced I guess we are okay! Anyway, Quinten is in the Third grade and has only lost 5 teeth..and each tooth that has come out has been a Broadway production. I think that I pulled the first one and it was like 2-3 hours to get him to let me touch it...it was a dangler and it was time to come out...but he just couldn't let us touch it. We are talking screaming... and crying...and at this point that was us just trying to touch it...by the time I got to wiggle it he, and I'm NOT kidding, spidermaned up the corner of the shower in an attempt to get away. It was unreal....! After a while i think I threatened his life, or the life of a toy and he let me put my two fingers in his mouth, and before he could jerk away I popped it out. He instantly froze and was like "That's it ...that didn't hurt!" Then he was so proud that he went to check it out in the mirror, and when he saw the blood he went straight back to flip-out town. Which leads us into tooth #2, he was so over the top and adamant that we not touch it that he ended up accidentally swallowing it. Tooth #3 was just as wiggly but Quinten had a firm policy....Mom and Dad ="NO TOUCHY!" So what happened, it got kicked out at Karate. (mom was VERY happy about this, because it was his other front tooth...first front tooth was swallowed...and it had become this hideous snaggle tooth right in the middle of his mouth) At this point Quinten decided to rethink his no touch policy, and let me pull tooth #4...but I had to spend an hour talking him into it and talking him down from hysterics.... It just drives me crazy, with his teeth it gets to a point where he can't even eat because the tooth is so loose and he doesn't want to swallow it but he doesn't want it pulled, EVEN thought every time after it's pulled he is like instantly okay and like phew glad that's done. Anyway tooth #5 Drama... I had told Quinten a week ago that his top side tooth was wiggly and he would most likely loose it in about 2-3 weeks (trying to give him some time to mentally get ready for it). Well 2 days later he bit an apple and it just gave way, but Q didn't tell me this so I checked his teeth a day or two later and imagine my surprise when his tooth almost came out. I said "Quinten that tooth is ready " and Quinten's reply "You said 2 weeks mom, not before two weeks!" I said, "Um that was before you bit the apple, and I don't remember signing a contract with you about it NOT coming out before the two weeks." So wanting to avoid any meltdowns, I let it go for two more days, and in those two days he kept biting things that would make to more loose. So Friday morning after Quinten declared that he couldn't eat breakfast because of his tooth, I called him back to the bathroom and looked him in the eye and said, "That tooth is coming out!" he immediately lost all bone structure and went limp, he began to flail around, and cry...(Reader please keep in mind that I HAD NOT touched the tooth)...after about 5 min he stood back up and after 2 tries (he kept jerking) we had it out and he got his shoes and socks on and skipped off to school. Then to add insult to injury the Tooth Fairy didn't show up for two days. I told Quinten that the Tooth Fairy is a jerk...of maybe she forgot...or maybe shes on vacation... WE decided that it must be Vacation because she was back and gave him some moo-la last night. WHEW!!!! Now I view Quintens mouth with a bit of horror...on one hand I see all the rest of his baby teeth as future meltdowns and I see the havoc that his adult teeth are wreaking and I can see braces and huge dental bills....Did I mention how much I love Quinten! If this is how it's gonna go down I'm just take walker in and have them remove all of his teeth in one swoop, then let him just "gum" everything until the adult teeth are in! 'Till next time intrepid reader....

3 comments:

heidi said...

funny. and the tooth fairy is a jerk. i never got money for teeth that i had to have extracted by a dentist. those should be the cash cow.

Christensen family said...

Q sounds just like Brooklyn.... she is terrified of us pulling her teeth out... she has swallowed one as well and now is pulling her own teeth out. Madison on the other hand lets David use pliers to pry those teeth out... fun times!!!

The Olsen Crew said...

You know, it is funny because Eryn has lost 2 teeth in oh....2 months and she is our biggest drama queen, but both of them were no big deal.
She lost the first one at school and the next one just came out while eating at grandma and grandpas! I was sure she would act like Q did.
BTW...can you believe that I am reading a blog? This is so unlike me....so I must really be interested in you or something...:)